- The Dude Abides 20 Years Later
- Do you have a thing that really pulls the room together. Coffee mug quest
- It’s been 20 years since The Big Lebowski imprinted on our culture
- The idea of “The Dude Abides” is so strong that it naturally connects.
- Inspired by an older movie The Night Of The Hunter (1955):
You know, when you’re little, you have more endurance than God is ever to grant you again. Children are man at his strongest. They abide. … and …
Lord, save little children. … My soul is humble when I see the way little ones accept their lot. Lord, save little children. The wind blows and the rain’s a-cold.
Yet they abide…They abide and they endure.
- Jesus Told His Followers To Abide 2000 Years Ago
- Our readings this week both focus on abiding in love.
- If we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is perfected in us … by this we know that we abide in him and he in us … God abides in those who confess that Jesus is the son of God and they abide in him … God is love and those who abide in love abide in God and God abides in them.
- Abide in me as I abide in you … Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit … if you abide in me and my words abide in you …
- How Abiding Is Counter Cultural & Foreign To Us
- Modern western culture doesn’t smile too kindly on merely abiding.
- Modern western culture is far more concerned with achieving.
- Consider the resistance & judgment that The Dude ( & other slackers like him) encountered in the film (& in our achieving culture).
- Similar we have turned our faith into a performative legalistic culture.
- Abiding In Love Is Life & The Mission Of The Church
- It seems we forget how much of what Jesus taught was love and life.
- The Gospel ministry on earth was about being restored in relationship.
- We’re so busy earning our own place in the Kingdom or evaluating another person’s worthiness to have a place in the Kingdom that we lose sight of God abides in those who confess that Jesus is the Son of God & they abide in him … God is love & those who abide in love abide in God & God abides in them.
- We would do well to remember what Wendy Mass encourages us, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”
- The Christ Abides – Jesus Embodies Abiding In Love
- While the Pharisees were busy achieving, Jesus was abiding with people.
- Jesus abided in love w/those who were rejected as unworthy slackers.
- The forgiveness & healing Jesus extended had nothing to do w/earning.
- That Love Really Pulled The Room Together
- Abiding in love liberates us from legalism & performance-ism
- Abiding in love is not complicated or achievement based
- Abiding in love unites us & opens us up to the lives/needs of others