- The Passage Not In The 3 Year Common
- Our narrative journey through the Gospel of Luke toward Easter
- SPOILERS! Jesus not a fan of Religious Empire (maybe why we are too?)
- Dinner invitation under false pretense (Adm. Ackbar says, “It’s a trap!”)
- This hand-washing thing isn’t even in Levitical law. It’s about superiority.
- Taking It Too Far For Personal Power
- The Pharisees obsessed over tithes that weren’t even required (herbs)
- They created a dominion system of religious empire (pride & power)
- Jesus got on the wrong side of the Pharisees by subverting/overturning
- Resetting The System – Correcting
- Jesus mission to subvert/overturn a judgmental/abusive religious empire
- Jesus message & example are about restoring life & relationship
- This mission & message will get him killed by the religious elite
- Restoring The Key Of Knowledge
- Pharisees & Lawyers had robbed the people of the “key of knowledge”
- They presented O.T. as only legalism, not preparation for the Messiah
- They were spiritually blind w/hardened hearts–couldn’t see the Messiah
- Jesus’ Mission Statement – That
- Remember when Jesus read his mission statement in the Isaiah scroll?
Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
- So, if we feel uncomfortable around organized religion when it forces legalism & judgmental empires of piety … well, Jesus didn’t like it either.